Tomatoes? Anyone try this variety?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tomatoes? Anyone try this variety?

Post by Doreen on June 21st 2009, 10:42 am

anyone ever grown or eaten Mortgage Buster tomatoes?

I just picked up a few plants, they look almost dead, but highly recommended I decided to try and bring them back to life.
My farrier recommended them to me, and the man across the street that has 5 acres of tomatoes wanted to try some.
They come from the SE I believe, but not sure. The stem is more like a tree, heavy as they grow 4 or 5 pounds each.
Can't wait to try them.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/mortgage-buster-tomatoes-anyone-26127.html

I tasted my first one today. Excellent! They are pink versus a gold, red, or orange tomato and very low acid. They are as large [some are larger] than the Beef Steak tomatoes right next to them. I have Sun Gold Cherry, Sweet 100 Cherry, Roma, Beef Steak and Mortgage Buster all in one garden. It looks like a jungle and if you're not careful, something will reach out and grab you. . Back to the Mortgage Busters, they are as I said, large, low acid and very meaty; also, fairly prolific, and tasty.

Anyone else grown/eaten these tomatoes?
mortgage buster maters
Doreen

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomatoes? Anyone try this variety?

Post by Doc on June 21st 2009, 11:52 am

New to me. Sounds like they're really huge, though.
Doc
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Cojones on June 21st 2009, 3:59 pm

holysheep And I always thought that size didn't matter...At least thats what I tell my wife...when we're talking about tomatoes.. laugh-115

Back to top Go down

Post by irishgodfather1 on June 21st 2009, 5:17 pm

Going to try them. They sound great.
irishgodfather1
Plus Member
Plus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by shanaya on June 21st 2009, 5:28 pm

I have never heard of that variety. I will have to do a search. I loves me tomatoes! Very Happy
shanaya
Admin is da shiznit!
Admin is da shiznit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynn on June 21st 2009, 5:38 pm

They sound good... Cool

2 Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Doreen on June 22nd 2009, 1:36 am

found a story and link info on them

http://www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk/ourshop/prod_124986-Tomato-Mortgage-Lifter-Available-May-August.html

Tomato Mortgage Lifter ( Available May - August)

The Mortgage Lifter tomato was developed in the early 1930's in Logan, West Virginia by a radiator repairman, M.C. "Radiator Charlie" Byles. Without any experience in breeding, he made a successful cross of four of the largest tomatoes he could find - German Johnson, Beefsteak, an Italian variety, and an English variety. Radiator Charlie sold the first seedlings of his new tomato in the 1940's for one dollar each to customers who drove up to 200 miles for his famous plants that bore tasty tomatoes averaging two and a half pounds. With these sales, Charlie managed to pay off his $6,000 mortgage in only six years, and so the tomato was named Mortgage Lifter.

This large, meaty, mild-flavored tomato has few seeds and is the perfect tomato-sandwich tomato. Indeterminate plants bear pinkish-red, 2 1/2 to 4 pound tomatoes all summer long!

Doreen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on June 23rd 2009, 8:16 am

I've never heard of them either. Sounds good. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top