Back to top Go down

Re: Ahnold With A Big Knife!!!

Post by Lynn on July 27th 2009, 8:26 am

I'm gonna pay more for a car because he signed it ?? right ..... Rolling Eyes

2 Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottL on July 27th 2009, 8:39 am

What's California's problem? I'm over here in Ohio and just get the usual media slant of chosen video clips and sound bites.

From clear over here, it seems that the people can vote themselves a tax cut anytime they want, the politicians still want to pay their cronies, and illegal immigrants get everything for free without having to pay for it.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that. Sounds like California is on a rocket sled to hell in a handbasket, or something like that. Smile
ScottL

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on July 27th 2009, 10:04 am

ScottL wrote:What's California's problem? I'm over here in Ohio and just get the usual media slant of chosen video clips and sound bites.

From clear over here, it seems that the people can vote themselves a tax cut anytime they want, the politicians still want to pay their cronies, and illegal immigrants get everything for free without having to pay for it.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that. Sounds like California is on a rocket sled to hell in a handbasket, or something like that. Smile

It's kinda funny how California seems to lead the pack in some areas (such as left-wing liberal crap), yet run WAY behind the curve in others (like fiscal responsibility).

It was predictable that our housing bubble would be the first to explode, leaving thousands of home"owners" owing hundreds of thousands of dollars on their artificially priced properties. Construction costs back in the mid 90s ran around 25-35% higher in Cal. than in Texas, yet a brand new 2,000+ ft. home cost my son $110K to build in Hays County, TX, and a comparable home in the San Diego area ran $950K. That $950K home is now worth around $285K, and would still have a balance of well over twice that, and a buyer couldn't be found if a fella's life depended on it.

Housing is just one of the areas in which California life-style has been jammed up the residents' keesters. Out of control spending to fund programs that would have made Karl Marx grin like a Cheshire cat...a state legislature that equates "public service" to a position at the feed trough...an educational system that is financially AND educationally bankrupt...take your pick. The only thing we've got going for us now is the weather, and if Al Gore is to be believed, even THAT will soon be history.

Hell in a handbasket? Sounds about right! Rolling Eyes
Doc
Rude, Crude and Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottL on July 27th 2009, 11:03 am

Hey, Doc. Smile

Having been in Commercial Construction for just short of 30 years, and my wife being a real estate agent, I'm familiar with the housing mess. Ohio is in the same boat, only on a smaller scale. People who bought homes for 180K, losing their jobs, trying to sell their homes to get something out of them and save their credit. They're now appraised for around 130K, but, the few buyers that are out there, are constantly low-balling, offering around 90K. The bank repos are piling up, with no one to keep them up. Beginning to look like a bad Sci-Fi movie around here.

The state supreme court, about 7-8 years ago, ruled how Ohio funds their schools is unconstitutional, three times. The Legislature and Governor thumbed their noses at them. We have a state lottery that's supposed to pump a lot of $ into the schools but it's only a pittance compared to the costs. (I've worked on several schools in the area and I could write a book on how much money is wasted) So most of the money for the schools come from property taxes. That means renters can vote for a school levy but don't have to pay for it. And they sneak these levies onto the ballot for special elections. Their supporters are told not to speak about the levy with no editorials in the paper, no interviews trying to convince the voters, etc, and, if you're not paying extremely close attention, you wake up one morning, find out their was a one issue election yesterday and your taxes will be going up, again. And Cleveland's school system, being under state supervision for several years now for corruption and not enough money, graduates less than 50% of their students.

Hell in a handbasket is right.

But don't get me started. Smile
ScottL

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc on July 27th 2009, 11:26 am

Not a pretty picture, Scott.
I have worked in commercial construction, too, and I know what you mean about waste on government jobs. It makes no difference whether it's city, county, state or federal, the amount of waste just escalates, but it's always there.

I can certainly see why the Sup. Court would rule that unconstitutional. What's the phrase...taxation without representation?
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top